Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hatred in this World

I was reading my book late last night (yay insomnia), and I was struck by a certain part if it.

Book Credits:

Title:  Revenge Of The Mother - Billy: A Gay Trilogy - Book Two
Author:  Timothy Lee
Synopsis:  Billy and his sister Mirna are back to once again take life by the horns. Billy and Abraham are to find that although domestic life looks good on the drawing board myriad unforeseen pitfalls are to challenge their bond. One specific pitfall is Abraham's troubled nephew who suddenly becomes not only a welcomed addition but a disruptive force as well challenging their relationship.


During last night's reading, we learned that Abe's brother Clarence is very homophobic.  So much so that he has not allowed Abe to have much to do with his fifteen year old son Keto.  However, Clarence and his wife were going away for a few days, and they needed someone to watch Keto while they were gone.  Having nobody else, Clarence very reluctantly asked Abe if Keto could stay with them for the week.  Abe & Billy agreed, of course, and thus began the tale of Keto's arrival.  After a very rocky start, the week went very well.  It was during that time that Keto "came out" to his uncles.  Eventually, the week was over, and Keto went back home.  However, two days later, Clarence showed up at Abe & Billy's house and, for all intents and purposes, attacked Billy, screaming that they made his son gay.  Long story short, it was a huge fight with lots of very ugly name calling, etc.  Several days after Clarence's big brawl, Keto shows up in Abe & Billy's back yard and tells them that he had told his after about being gay, and his father had told him that he had no son, he hated his guts, and he had to get out of his house immediately.  Keto ran out, grabbing nothing to take with him for fear that his father would beat him.  He spent the next several days living under a bridge, eating what he could find in the garbage since he had no money.

As I read this, I had to put my book (okay, my iPad) down and think.  It's very sad that this world has so much fear and hatred that something like this could happen.  Now, I understand that this book is a work of fiction, but I also understand that this kind of thing could, and in fact does happen.  I happen to know two different individuals that had similar things happen to them when they came out to their family.  It's sad to know that there are families out there do not have enough love to survive something like that.  Now, as far as the guys that I know that went through this go, I know that they are better off without having to live with all that their family could (and would) do to them, but still.  Losing one's family because of who and what you are is awful.  I know first hand, though thankfully mine was not permanently.

I spent alot of years estranged from several members of my family after I came out.  I would know what was going on with them because of my mother and all, but for the most part, I didn't speak to them, and they didn't speak to me.  It was only after my mother passed away that we were able to work through our differences and move on.  Though I hate the fact that my mother passed away, the silver lining is that I got my family back, and I am very thankful every day for that.  I love them more than I could ever say, and I will never again take them for granted.

So, I will take this opportunity to challenge each of you.  Love your family, each and every day.  Tell them you love them, show them you love then.  Even if they do or say something that you don't agree with, just step back and remember, this is your family, and a real family loves each other, unconditionally.  It's okay to not agree with someone, but it's not okay to shun or ridicule them for it.  Agree to disagree, find some common ground, and concentrate on that.  Then, and only then will you realize that life is too short to concentrate on all the negativity.  We're only granted one life, so make it the best one you possibly can.

Everyone have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home